Saturday, April 28, 2007

pretend

i'm starting to think that i'm never going to feel as old as i am. more and more, i feel like, one day, someone's going to catch me playing pretend in a world where i don't really belong. i pretend to work, to go to school, to be responsible, but one day the dress-up clothes are going to going to fall off and i'll be caught wearing an over-sized pair of high heals and my mother's lipstick.
i know that i'm not the only one that feels like this. i can't be. so where do i learn to pretend better? how do i learn to grow-up?

2 comments:

collinhead said...

I'm not so sure. But I bet if you asked your parents if they knew exactly what they were doing when they were your age they would tell you they were in a similar situation. There isn't a manual on life because life is written as you go. Even though you might not feel that you belong at this stage in life, I'll bet ya that you'll find your niche and everything will work out.

Mavis Fausker said...

I'll adapt a quote that was meant for writing (but writing is life for me, so it works).

"[Living] is like driving at night. Your headlights only illuminate the space just ahead of you. But you can make the whole trip that way."

Who needs to know what next year brings? The other side of midnight is far enough in advance for me. You don't need to learn how to grow up: it's something that comes as you go.