Thursday, September 20, 2007

timewise

I'm afraid that my faith in age has faltered somewhat as I have begun to accumulate years with a seemingly increasing speed. I come across old people who act very young, and young people who act very old. I think that I, like most people, am somewhere in between the two, and often both at once. What then, if not time, can be used as a measuring stick for all that composes the life of a person? I've heard several postulates, but I have to admit that one of my favorites is application of the knowledge accrued—wisdom. I hope that I am more wise now than I was twelve months ago. Trouble is, unlike time, wisdom is harder to measure, so I can't tell exactly how old I am.

1 comment:

Mavis Fausker said...

Maybe it's because life experience is not something that can be outwardly measured. Even wisdom is often displayed in things left undone, and thus not displayed at all.

More or less, I think it's hard to "judge" a person, and that it shouldn't really be attempted. F'example, some of those folks who are old and act young--we'll modify it to be old and act immature--could be doing it for wise reasons that a removed observer wouldn't grasp. Years affect a lot of people a lot of differend ways. It often depends on what those years held.